Good morning dear friends! In today’s post I want to talk more about picking the right paint color for your home. I get this question on almost every design consultation that I make.
Our home is the reflection of our personality. Therefore, when we are deciding our home decor, we pick up each and every item with utmost care.
When home decor plays a great role in furnishing the kind of mental satisfaction that we search in our home, it has to be given required efforts. This involves handpicking everything, right from the structure of our house to a small home decor piece.
A factor that plays a major role in enhancing the beauty of our home is the colours and hues that we select for our walls and windows. The way in which we apply the colours, displays our love and affection that we have put into building our home. Therefore, when it comes to choosing colours, we have to be on the top of our game.
Ask yourself following questions:
What kind of look do I want for my home?
Do I want a vibrant look or a subtle look? Or, am I looking for a mix of both the kinds of looks? These questions exhaust our minds and we finally end up getting confused. Here we must analyse what kind of person we are and what colours do we like, and then we might come up with a solution. In case of a doubt, we can take help of a home decor expert working with a construction company or someone who is hands-on with house extensions. One good idea is to have a slightly mellow look for our bedrooms and colourful as well as lively ambience for our dining areas. This way we have the best of both worlds. Be relaxed when we want to and be cheerful when we feel like.
What sheen do I like?
We can have our walls painted with matte effect or with a little shine. We can have different finishings for our walls depending on the following ideas:
- Matte finish: This type of look carries no shine. They are perfect to be used in bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Flat enamel: This kind of sheen has no shine as well, except it’s easier to clean in comparison to the former one. It is good to be used in kids’ rooms and if we have pets.
- Eggshell enamel: This kind of finishing has little bit shine and is best to be used in living rooms.
- Satin enamel: It has a bit more shine that eggshell enamel. It is mostly used in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Semi-gloss enamel: It is very shiny, but doesn’t impart a glass like shine. The finish is meant for cabinets and trims.
- Hi-gloss enamel: This one gives out glass like shine and is used to paint furnitures.
Can I experiment?
Some people like the monochromatic style for their entire home. But some people love to play around with colours. Which one are we? That we have to decide.
These days, monochromatic colour style is as prevalent as having multicolour look for our home. If we are going with the monochromatic theme, we can at least experiment with the sheen. We can paint our walls in matte, trims, doors and door frames in eggshell enamel and rest of the furniture in satin enamel. But if we are so interested in using different colours and sheen for different areas, there is no limit to the experimentation. We can even go for textured walls as well.
Finding the right paint for your home can be time-consuming. But once you have it, you can transform your home into a beautiful looking place and match latest home decor trends.