CATEGORIES:

Essential Trend: Mediterranean Tiles

September 18, 2013

This morning, leisurely having my coffee and looking through the old issue of “Interiors” magazine I have stumbled upon this kitchen photo:

Screen Shot 2013-08-25 at 10.34.52 AM

It was the tiles that caught my attention. Very often they are used as a backsplash, but here they were applied to frame the kitchen equipment. Very creative, no? And I thought I will write today about Mediterranean tiles, especially because they are really trendy at the moment – you can check it out by going to any tile store and you will find a huge variety of them.

Let’s start with definition first: what is exactly mediterranean tiles? The answer is that there is no “exactly”. The design and colour palette of Meditierranean tiles varies greatly depending on the region. Thus, in Greece prevail the combination of blue and white, in Turkey – blue and turquoise, while in Italy – earthy tones, such as terracotta, olive and green. However, the intricate and flamboyant pattern remains the key feature of these tiles:

medinterranean tiles

As I already mentined, Mediterranean tiles look fantastic used as a kitchen backsplash. You will definitely not make a mistake if you decide to create a focal point out of them by decorated the rest of the kitchen in very neutral tones:

Screen Shot 2013-08-25 at 12.11.38 PM

Again, even the backsplash can be made in various ways: traditional approach, when the tiles run all around the working surface:

house to home

Image source

Or you can make a decorative panel highlighting one particular area, for example the stove or the sink:

house to homes

Image source

In a bathroom  you can create with Mediterranean tiles a very luxurious and exquisite look. You can give an absolute freedom to your creativity on how to use them, starting from applying them in a row as a decorative border between two types of tiles,  or using them for dividing space and highlighting particular areas:

mediterranean tiles

Image source

You can also mix different patterns of tiles and create a very striking and bold decorative panel. However remember to coordinate them by colour:

house to home

Image source

Another area where Mediterranean tiles looks absolutely stunning is patio. Usually designers involve them to decorate the floor in the terrace. By using them outdoors you will be able to achieve a very relaxing and I would say “holiday” mood:

mediterranean tiles

Image source

Does this inspire you? Looking forward for your comments!

SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS
15 Comments
{.k.}
September 18, 2013 at 9:48 am

Sure!!! The use of mediterranean tiles creates a magical picture, I can say, in every project that we use them.
*Great post!

September 18, 2013 at 10:49 am

Great post – my mind is on patterned tiles at the moment so great inspiration! Love the different patterns combined together, really want to try this with black & white.

September 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

Thank you, Tara, for visiting and commenting! Great idea to try to combine different patterns in black and white – I am sure it will turn out great as monochrome will unite them.

September 18, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I can honestly admit, Medditteranean style tiles have never been on my favs list. In fact they’re always something I tried to stay away from in my interior past…(LONG ago past LOL) Having seen the shift in decor through the times, like these examples you have shared here, I have to admit: ” I’M IN!” It’s out with the flashy over done Traditional Tiled European basement (Nonna, there’s nothing wrong with your basement kitchen muah muah 😉 and in with the focal holds of trending present, you know, the one fact that keeps bringing me back to your blog is always that You Challenge my interior design belief system, and comfort zone. I might just be forced to do a project with these such types and reveal here 😉 Heartfelt thanks and spaghettini to you,
Jeanine

September 18, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Jeanine, you made me laugh with your comment 🙂 Well, I am really glad I could change your attitude towards Mediterranean tiles 🙂

September 20, 2013 at 9:02 pm

“Why you laugh?! You no lika my spaghetti?!!!” 😉 winks n smiles, have a fruitful weekend my friend!

September 21, 2013 at 10:16 am

Of course I lika your spaghetti! 🙂 Thank you, Jeanine, you too have a fruitful weekend!

September 18, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I ADORE Mediterranean tiles! I would love to use them more in my decor and probably would if they weren’t so pricey. 🙁 So I just use a few as accents (like leaning in the back of a curio cabinet or as a trivet). While we were in Spain, however, I bought a gorgeous mirror with small tiles around the inside of the frame, and I have it hanging in my hall to add light and color. We used to have a coffee table tiled with Italian tiles all in colors of gold, but we gave it to one of our kids. Now I’m regretting my generous impulse! 🙂

September 19, 2013 at 5:44 am

I know Susan, they are very expensive! I believe this is the only disadvantage of this product as these tiles really brighten up the space!

September 21, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I really love these tiles in natural/rustic rooms. Ceiling beams, natural earthy wood. Great post. Prettttyyyy.

Surrounded By Pretty