CATEGORIES:

DIY

DIY project: Vintage clock

March 20, 2013

Do you remember Gil Elvgren pin-up girls? Our friend gave as a wonderful gift – a calendar with Brown & Bigelow reproduction paintings. My husband and I got so used to the company of these pretty girls that we felt really pity when year 2012 was over. That’s when we decided to make a do-it-yourself project using our favorite images.

L1070803

We decided that overscale vintage looking clock might be a good idea. If you like it – you can use Elvgen girls as well or you can use any of your favorite images printed out on Laser Jet printer.

You will need:

1) a circular wooden board or a cardboard ( I used canvas on cardboard sold in the art shops)

2) clock mechanism ( I found one in the clock repair shop)

3) acrylic paints – I used only black and white

4) decoupage glue

5) acrylic varnish

6) numbers printed out on Laser Jet printer

Instructions:

1) Make a hole in the middle of the board (find out the required size by checking the clock mechanism).

L1070580

2) Paint the board with acrylic paints – I made a neutral greyish background.

L1070787

3) Cut out the image and place it on the desired area on the board. Cover it with decoupage glue. You need to do it little by little making sure that there is no air left underneath it.

L1070791

4) Cut out the numbers and allocate them on the board using ruler and angle meter.

L1070797

5) Cover the numbers with decoupage glue. I covered the whole surface with the decoupage glue in order for it to look more even.

L1070795

6) Let the surface dry completely. Cover it then with acrylic varnish – it will create a glossy look and also protect your creation from dust and moisture.

7) Insert the clock mechanism and put in the battery. Set the time!

L1070804

L1070814

diy clock

Working as an interior designer or decorator? Check out my eBooks: the first one is about history of interior styles, second one is about marketing your interior design business and getting more clients:

[ebook_store ebook_id=”15760″]

[ebook_store ebook_id=”16032″]

SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS
20 Comments
March 20, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Love it! Nothing decorates quite like retro does 🙂

March 21, 2013 at 5:44 am

Thank you, Andy! :)I also love retro-looking accessories – they bring so much warmth and coziness to the house!

March 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Yep! that they do 🙂 🙂

Anonymous
March 21, 2013 at 12:22 am

What a great DIY project – it looks fantastic! My husband’s side of the family always exchanges home-made gifts for Christmas and this is one is definitely going on the idea list!

March 21, 2013 at 5:29 am

Thank you so much! I am glad you liked it 🙂 and it took us only 2 hours to make it!

March 22, 2013 at 6:22 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This is a great vintage clock DIY project too. Jane

Anonymous
April 5, 2013 at 2:03 am

Очень здорово!!!
И сама идея классная!;)
Выглидит потрясно

April 5, 2013 at 3:46 am

Спасибо большое! Очень рада, что Вам понравилось.

DIY Project: Vintage Suitcase Makeover | L' Essenziale Home Designs
DIY Project: How To Make Attractive Product Packaging | L' Essenziale Home Designs
DIY Project: Reupholstering Old Chairs | L' Essenziale Home Designs