After several years of living in the same home, you may notice some musty odors. If you live with pets, children, and a spouse, the chance of your home having a unique smell to it is not uncommon. In fact, it is quite normal. Even if you clean your home regularly and its condition is neat and tidy, you can still have a musty smelling home. This article will provide some tips that will help reduce odors in your home.
- Open your windows. If it is a beautiful day outside, why not open the windows and let some fresh air in the house. There is nothing like allowing your home to air out naturally and inviting the cool crisp air inside. If you have pets, particularly cats, make sure that your window is open a small amount and that your screen is intact.
Cats like to lay on the windowsill and soak up the fresh air. If the screen is not intact, the cat could fall out of the window which would cause your family problems. Just be careful and make sure your screen is intact and you can avoid problems such as bugs getting inside.
- Clean your air ducts. Cleaning your air ducts is a task that does not sound appealing but it can keep your home smelling fresh and odor-free. Dust, pet fur, and other debri can get lodged in the air vents which then gets blown throughout your home when the air conditioner or heater operates. This dust can create allergens in the air which could bother your family. If you are not interested in doing the task yourself, consider hiring a professional air duct cleaning company to do the job for you.
- Deep clean and shampoo carpets. If you live with children or pets, it is a good idea to deep clean and shampoo your carpets quarterly. If you do not live with children or pets, it is still a good idea to clean your carpets on an annual basis. Shampooing your carpets will lift up stains and make your carpet smell and look better. This will not only lengthen the life of your carpet but it will keep your home nice and clean.
- Burn candles or wax. To add a nice seasonal scent to your home, consider burning candles or melting wax. The most popular seasons to do this is in the fall and winter but there are certainly plenty of options for year round candle burning.
- Take out garbage and run the disposal. One of the easiest and cheapest ways to keep your home smelling good is by taking out the trash regularly and running your garbage disposal after every meal. It is also important to keep your sink clear of dirty dishes and wipe your tables and countertops regularly. If you have an indoor grill, be sure to clean it after every use so you can avoid grease smells infiltrating your home.