If you start your own interior design business you will need to think about such an important aspect as accounting. One solution could be hiring a professional accountant, however at early stages you might not afford it. You should not stress yourself because of that as there are so many quick and easy to use software on the market that will help you to manage your books like a pro. Here are some of the most popular among interior designers.
- QuickBooks Pro – this software is used by many professional accountants. With this tool you can access your books from any device (computer, laptop, smartphone). QuickBooks online app allows to store all your data in the cloud. Important features include creating and sending invoices, recording expenses and cash flow management (you can enter bills from vendors and schedule recurring payments).
- Studio Webware – interior design project management software that integrates all important accounting features –
- cash receipts
- office expenses
- purchase order
- accounts receivable
- accounts payable
- balance sheet
- journals and many other important tools.
Since it is web based, you can also hire a part-time accountant remotely, who will be able to access your records, even if he is located in another city.
3. Design Manager – another cool software that combines project management and accounting in one. Accounting system by Design Manager follows the GAAP rules. The advantage of this software in comparison to Quickbooks, for example, is that it was designed specifically for Interior design business.
4. FreshBooks – simple and user friendly accounting software for small businesses. You can track your time, send invoices, deposits, expenses and follow up with your clients. Freshbooks lives in the cloud and you can access it from any device – computer, phone, tablet, laptop.
5. IVY – interior design project management software that integrates Quickbooks – this feature might be useful if you want to hire a professional accountant for your business, since most of them are familiar with Quickbooks. IVY is also cloud-based tool that allows to manage your projects quickly and efficiently. You can track your furniture delivery and installation schedules, track timelines, send invoices and reminders.
What accounting software do you use for your interior design business? Please share in the comments below.
If you are just starting your interior design career, getting clients for your business can be a bit of a struggle in the beginning. Check out my Marketing for Interior Designers eBook – it contains 23 effective tools that will help you to build and grow your business from scratch: