I am just back from construction site – I am really excited how things are moving there and overall this project brings me lots of inspiration and enthusiasm. Today I was testing the paint that I have picked and I thought I will make a little video about how to choose a wall color.
- Start from actual paint chips in the shop – never pick the color on computer screen
- Buy small cans or sample cans of paint to test it
- Don’t try they paint on the walls directly – prepare a large piece of plasterboard (at least 1 to 1 meter but not so big so you can move it around the room)
- Apply the paint at least 2 coats and let each coat dry completely
- Remember that on the large surfaces all paints look more intense and darker
- Dark paints look lighter in the can and darker when they dry – vice versa with light colours
- Check how your sample looks under different natural lighting – for example, in the morning and in the evening
- Try to place it against different walls in the room – it will look differently under different angles
- Prepare samples of other finishes that you have chosen already – e.g. flooring, tiles, even furniture and see how they coordinate with your paint
- You may cut little samples of your painted plaster board to source textiles and furniture later – they will help you a lot in the shops to make the right choice.
Hope this was helpful!
Have you read my interior design books yet? I am running limited time offer with a very special promotional rate on them: