CATEGORIES:

Essential Colour: Salmon Pink

June 24, 2013

Though generally I am not a big fan of pinkish hues, there is one which just blows me away. I am talking about colour “Salmon Pink” which is a light value of pinkish-orange hue. If you ask me to describe it in a few words, I will probably call it joyful, tender and delicious.

salmon pink peonies

Got hooked?

As any other colour it can be a powerful tool in skillful hands of interior designer or turn your room in a complete disaster.

Consider these little tips on how to decorate with it.

Salmon pink colour loves:

1. Combination with “cool colours”, which will balance this overly warm hue: I recommend turquoise, teal, indigo and all shades of grey. If you use salmon pink as primary colour, the selected contrast must be applied as secondary  (it should occupy enough space in the room to create a good balance): think of curtains, area rugs, headboard, blankets.

salmon pink and turquoise

2. Splashes of white which will add some freshness and pureness: think of white window frames or crispy table cloths.

salmon pink on terrace

3. Dark fuchsia, claret and dark plum which will add depth and interest to the space. Use these colours in accessories: consider cushions, lampshades and throws.

saipuawinter10_Fotor

salmon pink interior

4. Creamy or buttery shades of yellow (don’t go for bright and vivid hues as they will start to conflict with each other!):

salmon pink in the living room

5. Dark browns and earthy tones: natural dark wooden furniture will look great with it.

6. “Cold” neutrals such as taupe: use it instead of warm beige and sand tones as salmon has already enough heat in it.

7. “Warm” metals like brass and copper (they generally work better than “cool metals”  stainless steel and silver): think of Moroccan lamps or lanterns if you want to add some oriental twist to a room.

salmon pink door

image via

Salmon pink is often used in Moroccan style interiors. Have a look at these wonderful products if you want to get the look:

Lantern and Mirror by Moroccan Decor, Cushions and throw by Etro, paint "Dusky Rose" by Benjamin Moore, Rug by Luke Irwin, Garden ceramic stool, box by Lombok

Lantern and Mirror by Moroccan Decor, Cushions and throw by Etro, paint “Dusk Pink” by Benjamin Moore, Rug by Luke Irwin, Garden ceramic stool from Amazon, box by Lombok

Do you like this colour? Looking forward to hearing your comments!

SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS
24 Comments
June 24, 2013 at 11:24 am

I too am not a big fan of pink, however salmon against a moody backdrop like the flowers you created are lovely. A really inspiring post. xD

June 24, 2013 at 5:39 pm

A great post on use of color! I love a lot of those photos, especially the warm, earthy ones and the exotic ones. Salmon does that so well!

June 24, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Thank you! I am so glad you liked the post 🙂

June 24, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I love salmon too! The color definitely takes me back to my travels in Marrakesh. All the color combinations you mentioned are spot on but I especially like salmon with blues and turquoises like in your first image, and in your fantastic mood board.

June 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Oh you so lucky – Marrakesh is my dream! 🙂 salmon + turquoise is my favorite combo too, another one is salmon + deep plum

June 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I was just in Marrakech a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to write a post about it…the colours, the designs, the lamps, the whole sensory experience…..and your great post on the colour salmon just reminded me! The turquoise and salmon bedroom you showed is lovely!

June 24, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Marrakesh is such an inspiring place for all interior designers)) I will be so interested to read this post from you, and I really hope to make a trip there myself this year. Thank you for reading and taking time to comment 🙂

Anonymous
June 26, 2013 at 1:08 am

Good Job as usual. Thanks for sharing.

June 26, 2013 at 7:44 am

It is actually a very lovely colour…but i didn’t know it is called Salmon…quite matching though…hehe…

Thank you for sharing~ Cheers!!! 😀

June 26, 2013 at 8:49 am

Thank you for reading and commenting! I am glad you like this colour like me 🙂

June 27, 2013 at 6:11 am

You’re welcome!

Have a great day ahead, always~ Cheers!!! 😀

June 27, 2013 at 5:42 am

Ha, wow what a coincidence, I’ve just posted today about a very similar shade – peachy tones with minty blues. Well you know what they say about great minds… Fabulous round up!

June 27, 2013 at 9:19 am

I think it is summer which brings us both to this bright and colourful mood 🙂 Thank you for stopping by!

June 27, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Many a French chateau owes some of its beauty to various shades of salmon.

June 27, 2013 at 6:55 pm

You are right, Trevor, I’ve recently been to France and saw it! 🙂 this colour looks beautiful surrounded by lush vegetation.

Essential Colour: Dark Teal | L' Essenziale Home Designs
9 Things You Need To Know About Colour | L' Essenziale Home Designs
October, Essential Colour: Pumpkin Orange | L' Essenziale Home Designs
Essential Colour: Black. 7 Fearless Design Ideas | L' Essenziale Home Designs
Essential Colour: Aubergine | L' Essenziale Home Designs
Before & After: My Living Room Makeover | L' Essenziale Home Designs
July 1, 2014 at 9:50 am

I wish it would catch on. I’ve been loving salmon for years but waiting for everyone else to. Guess it’s too close to peach.

WordPress.com Support
July 1, 2014 at 10:05 am

Hi Donna! great to hear that colour expert also loves and uses this colour a lot! one of my favourites 🙂

Comments are disabled.